Who are Humanists?
Humanists are atheists and agnostics who share a non-religious ethical outlook and seek to create a more open, just and caring society.
How Humanist are you? Take this quiz and find out.
- We believe we can make sense of the world using reason, evidence, experience and shared human values.
- We take responsibility for our actions and base our ethics on compassion and empathy with the goals of human welfare, happiness and fulfilment.
- We seek to make the best of the one life we know we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves, individually and together.
- We support democracy, human rights and respect the diversity in our community.
- We support inclusivity of non-religious people and there being no discrimination based on religion or belief e.g. in education, government, employment and provision of services.
If you would like to read more take a look at these books about Humanism
Have you tried Stephen Fry’s short videos titled “That’s Humanism”?
For general information about humanism visit The British Humanist Association